Monday, May 14, 2012

in the in between - a poem.


i am sitting at the station,
waiting for a train that’s never coming back.
it seems like an eternity since anything’s come down these
deathly
soundless
tracks.
with nothing left but my frail and fading memories,
it’s almost as if i’d imagined it ever existing in the first place.

i am in the in between,
drifting between asleep and awake,
floating from this world to the next
and back again.
yearning for the sky,
but chained indefinitely to the ground.
trying to scream,
but finding silence in place of sound.

i am waiting for the train,
a train that will take me away from these shades of grey
into inky black or piercing white.
a train that’s stopped here once before,
i could’ve gotten on but i was afraid,
and now it is gone forever,
like a shooting star – burning bright for just a moment,
but leaving behind a sky darker than ever before.

i am waiting,
walking lonely railroad ties
creaking metal and crunching gravel
with my every step.
in the in between,
caught between giving up
and holding on.   

1 comment:

Alanna said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Words simply cannot express how unique, amazing, and beautiful this is. I think this may be my favorite poem of yours yet, and if I could get away with it, I'd totally steal it. I feel like you've captured an emotion that I haven't been able to put in words and it really strikes a chord. It's, just, like, fabulous. Incredible. <3 x Infinity