Thursday, March 01, 2012

smoke and mirrors - an excerpt.

a short bit of my nanowrimo, smoke and mirrors, from this year -


It was pouring so hard I couldn’t distinguish my tears from the rain anymore. But the storm was nothing compared to the chaos inside my head. There were so many words and emotions and memories I couldn’t tell which ones were real and which ones were just illusions. She stood in front of me motionless, letting the water stream down her face and body.
“Don’t leave! Please…I need you…stay, just a little longer,” I screamed, crying hysterically. She reached out and touched my face, her touch cold as ice and light as a feather.
“I can’t, Ally. Don’t you see? I have to go,” she said, speaking so softly I had to strain to hear her over the rain. She started to walk away from me, turning to face the ocean. “I’d forgotten how beautiful it was here,” she said, her voice calm. She stood just at the verge of the cliff; kicking rocks off the edge and watching them disappear into the downpour and crashing waves below. “You know, I used to be afraid of the rain. I thought that if I stayed outside too long that it would wash me away…just like that…” she mused.
“You…you don’t understand!” I said, choking on my words. She turned her head and looked at me over her shoulder, her eyes filled with a deep sadness. 
“No, you’re the one who doesn’t understand,” she echoed back.
“I can’t let you go, not again,” I begged, closing the few steps between us.
“Then come with me.”
“What?”
Suddenly, the rain lifted, but I barely noticed. She leaned in to tell me something, but -

2 comments:

Alanna said...

why do u tease me with a short excerpt? *pouts* not very nice
I want the whole thing! this is like only giving me one little bite of cake! too cruel! also, what's a nanowrimo?

PaintTheTears said...

:D

Nanowrimo is National Novel Writing Month (all of Novermber) where you write a 50,000 word novel in one month!